Tuesday, September 28, 2004

My Babies...






As you know, one of the things in my To Do list for this week i to finish off my Microbiology assignment. I have to write up a report on my success in isolating not one, but TWO species of the genus Lactobacillus. At the very top is L.acidophilus. You know how Yakult and Vitagen and all that probiotic nonsense says its got good bacteria in it? Well you're staring at the very things that slide down your throats at every gulp. :P


Below it, the rather noodley looking thing is L.bulgaricus, named so due to its uses in Bulgarian milk, no doubt. This was the bonus baby. We originally thought that it was a contamination colony, but upon multiple Gram stainings, it turned out to be this little darling. I was ever so pleased. :) Both these microbes were isolated from some yoghurt we got off the supermarket shelf and is the end results of 6 weeks of work. Now you know why I've become so attached? :))

These pictures are original pics, taken by my lab colleague and friend, Danny Liu. Thanks so much Danny. Our lab supervisor was quite fascinated at our method of photography. She said the last time they wanted to take some pics they had to hire some movie guys to do it, and paid them something like $300 an hour!? Ridiculous. I can see a revolution in microphotography happening.

No comments: