Thursday, December 30, 2004

Happy New Year

Heyas. Yeah I'm safe and sound. People have been saying how gracious God has been to me because I missed the tsunami by like 6 days or something...and yea. Also, the morning that the earthquake/tsunami disaster happened, I was on a really early flight out to Cambodia... so even though some tremors reached KL, I didnt get to feel any of it. Which really was quite a waste... considering how close I was and how I could have experienced one of the biggest natural disasters to ever happen in my generation's life time. Neh. I guess I feel more regret than thankfulness.

Anyways I just got back today from Cambodia and thus got to read news and emails etc... I hadnt realised how major the destruction was. Yeah its really quite unprecedented for an area like ours. Geographically, Malaysia is totally out of the way for natural disaster occurances....thyphoons, earthquakes, volcanoes, cyclones... you name it. SO yeah... waking up one christmas morning to be swamped by 10 meters of brine isn't really something we're used to. I wonder if they will rewrite our school geography books. haha.

I guess I also had not really been aware of the catastrophe as much because I was galavanting around Cambodia, looking at all the temples and stuff (pictures when I get back to Aus). Quite nice there....spent most of our days visiting ruins of ancient civilisations like Angkor Wat and the temple that Tomb Raider (Angelina Jolie) was shot at. And took a picture of LPG (Lonely Planet Guy) and all other things. Rather interesting. Did more shopping even though I said I wouldnt. SIgh. Im gonna be SO overweight in luggage when I return to Aus x.x

So yeah, Happy New Year guys. Bundling the family off to Singapore tommorow to have our annual "reunions". After that, its one more entry and then back to good ol Australia.

1 comment:

B. said...

*Yes!!* I am so thankful and relieved to hear that you're all right. Answered prayers. There are so many reports I've seen and heard of people who know people who were there and went to the media to plead the assistance of anyone who had information about their friends and loved ones.