Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Oh My, Steve Vai....

"Steve Vai....What a nice little boy he is!"

Watched Steve Vai in concert yesterday. It was MAD!!!!! Man.....we were SO close, I could've poked his eye with a chopstick!!!! Cos Tet and I lined up for like 4 hours or something and got to stand right behind the fence. Vai LOOKED at me! Straight in my eye! e.e heek. aheeek. Yeah it was an awesome experience...even though Im not really a fan (I only knew like one song ;p) but it was still really cool. He is SUCH a good guitarist! And the band was really good too! I love it when all four performers stand in a line and play in harmony or unision....man. So good. So cool. So....brilliant!!!!!!
 
Got abit cheesed off that they threw all the picks and drum sticks on the other side of the stage though  :(  And they shook hands with some of the peeps and even let them touch their axes. IMAGINE THAT. Anyways. Some things I picked up from last night's concert:
 
1) Steve Vai really knows how to perform. He definately has showmanship. And no shame :P
 
2) Steve Vai is just a man. Everyone who was at the frontline were all hardcore fans of Mr.Vai and they loved every moment, every bead of sweat, every resonating note. I,on the other hand, had a certain guarded indifference. Mainly because Im not that big a fan and even though his guitar skills are highly impressive, they are infinitely beyond my reach and thus my interest in that kind of music is severely limited. Restricted. And so I looked into his eyes and he looked into my eyes and there before me I saw a man, tearing the place apart....for a living. All his unannounced and unapplauded hours of practice, sacrifice and struggles. Sure he made it. Sure he makes millions, lives in a large mansion and is practically worshiped by all who recognise his awe inspiring talent. Yet. He is infinitely man. He will one day grow old, shrivel up and die. And, as Keating would say, be food for worms.
 
I cannot shake the image out of my head. Of what he looked like when i grinned at him yet looked penetratingly at his mortality. One could say he sensed the shadow that threatened his glory. But then again, he was contorting his face into all kinds of gruesome combinations all night anyways. As Steve Vai would have it. He cannot perform any other way. AT least he and John Mayer have one thing in common.
 
By the way, it seems that Britney Spears is moving a stone's throw from his place. For all of you who know him, this is just absolutely hilarious news. And a good example of how powerless we are, no matter how rich or famous or glorified. Only God holds the ultimate power. Even the strongest of men are weak next to God's awesome wonder.

No comments: