Saturday, June 28, 2003

Coolness Factor...

Last night I had a typical family dinner with my extended family. As usual there were the warm smiles, silly jokes and plenty of wine to go around. This time however, a friend of mine graced our food laden table and him coming from a family that isn't very close knit, he was just bowled over by his experience. See the thing is, I never had much of a family as a kid. I originated from your typical broken-home type family and grew up a typical family-hating scoundrel. Or not so typical.

My paternal granma and her siblings are soooo close to each other that only death could ever pry them apart, and even then not emotionally. Subsequently, most of the generations under them follow suit and this includes me. As I get older, I definately see the bonds that we as a family have. Just all the Chinese New Year dinners and Christmases are enough to make me realise how much luckier I am because even though my nuclear family is a complete break down, the garden around it is a myriad of beauty. These are truly beautiful people whom I grow to love more and more each passing year and needless to say, I am very VERY proud of my family.

Its unfortunate that my generation isnt as close as the generations before and its troubles me that as each sibling of my granma passes away, the bonds may never be as strong. As it is two have gone, including my grandmother, leaving only 3...one of whom is in a position that may cause some problems. I need to treasure and cherish these precious moments before it all slips away because it is an unevitable fact that eventually, everyone dies. Its only a matter of time.

Ive never really thought much about my typical family dinners but just having my friend over yesterday really blessed me because it made me realise even further how lucky I am. My friend's new hero is now my granduncle whose "coolnes factor" hit the ceiling apparently. hehehe. He is a pretty cool guy and is someone whom I respect very much. Yea. They say that blood is thicker than water and I cant say that I believe in that entirely but there is a certain extra emotion involved when around family you love. A feeling being around friends doesnt normally produce and Im truly blessed to be able to experience that which most people my age never get to.

Truly blessed.

No comments: