Thursday, February 08, 2007

Don't Wait

The sky glows
I see it shining when my eyes close
I hear your warning but we both know
I'm gonna look at it again

Don't Wait :: Dashboard Confessionals

I love lightening.

My granma used to think I was crazy for staring out of the window during violent storms.

I love turning off the light and, in the unnatural darkness, watch the pelting rain collide on the window pane. I love the low grumble and then the sudden shapeshifting flash followed by a deafening clap of thunder crashing rudely through my head. I love the roar of the wind, howling and whistling through a hole in my broken window, making me feel so vulnerable and yet so safe behind the glass of the window. It makes your heart beat fast, it makes your body tremble with impatient anticipation of the next lightening streak. Come to think of it...its like cable tv, only with scent. I love the smell of rain. I hear its geosmin. Nothing smells like it. And it smells the same everywhere in the world, only its accentuated in the tropics.

I had hoped to encounter another one of these tropical storms on my visit here. So far no luck. I hear Sydney experienced some of it though. I hope it really pours one of these days. I kinda miss it.

No comments: