Sunday, April 03, 2005

Experiment #2

If you've read the Da Vinci code, you'd know that the main character gave a lecture on the Divine Proportion. A number called PHI which ,apparently, all things in nature resemble. I was pretty intrigued by it so I decided to try it out.

They claim that PHI = 1.618 is a proportion found everywhere...in nature and even in some of our more prominent buildings. So my uncle and I measured ourselves and did the math...

Length from shoulder - finger.
me : 675 mm
uncle: 685 mm

Length from elbow - finger.
me: 410 mm
uncle: 410 mm

Length from hip - toes.
me: 890 mm
uncle: 924 mm

Length from knee - toes.
me : 430 mm
uncle: 460 mm

Length from head - toes.
me : 1590 mm
uncle: 1675 mm

Length from belly button - toes.
me: 963 mm
uncle: 965 mm

shoulder:elbow ratio.
me - 1.646
uncle - 1.671
average - 1.659

hip:knee ratio
me - 2.07
uncle - 2.00
average - 2.035

head: belly ratio
me - 1.651
uncle - 1.736
average - 1.694

So as you can see, nothing very extraodinary. However, I have a couple of reasons why the numbers were close but not exact...

1) We weren't measuring properly. Like we just did estimates based on some measuring tape

2) We weren't quite sure about where to begin and where to end. Like what the book means by shoulder could be different from where we started measuring from etc.

3) Like all thing, I guess its a matter of average from a fairly large sample size.

2 comments:

Tet said...

Hahah,

u're like analyzing results like
a scientist :P

swurple said...

thats cos i am a scientist ;p lol