Friday, November 21, 2003

The Importance Of Being....

I was talking to my sister yesterday and she said that I've become a nerd. That I was not fun anymore. I got the impression that perhaps I had become too grave. This is because I've always had a certain level of pride in education and my knowledge in science, which certainly would not have increased tremendously from when I last talked to her. I asked her what it was to be fun. She said acting like a 14-year-old.

I didnt like being 14....it was a hard year for me. I grew alot in that year.

I then told her maybe I've grown. And I thought....how horrible. One thing I've noticed about adults is their lack of ability to find anything other than themselves important. Children regard everything as potentially important. The worm in the ground, their favourite soft toy, the reasons to everything they see and dont see. Adult importances revolve around less arbritrary substances, and they always put the importance of being an adult before the importance of anything else. As for children, it is usually the other way around.

I cannot quite grasp the essence of the difference in importances, however I tether bewteen the likelihood of both ends and I fear that I am creeping towards the one which I for so long longed and yet disliked.

This is a rather worrying moment for me. When you are a child, adulthood is but an arm's reach away. But once you become an adult, you will never become a child again. Senility does not count, by the way. I must preserve the child in me lest I forget. I will be terribly sad if that day ever came, when the child in me crawls out in mournful disgust at how viscous my soul had become because of adult importances. It will flee, and my chambers will never again resonate with it's laughter.

No comments: