Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Dippy Eggs

I don't think I ever really understood the concept of egg cups. Maybe because all I have been exposed to are half-boiled eggs, where the whole egg is still runny and you eat it with soya sauce + white pepper; or hard-boiled eggs where the whole egg is solid. Both are difficult to eat with an egg cup.

One day someone asks, "say how long do you boil Dippy Eggs for?" I looked at him blankly (like I always do). What on earth are Dippy Eggs!?

Apparently they're 3-quarter boiled eggs where the white is cooked but the yolk is still runny. You then proceed to toast bread, butter them and cut them into strips = "Bread Soldiers". Dip General Wholegrain into the yolk and eat. Repeat.

Transfixed! Astounded! Astonished and Gobsmacked!!

I not only finally understood what egg cups were for, I have also found a new food to try. So I proceeded to cut out an egg carton and make an egg cup, of which this took about 5 or so days (glazing took 3 days).

12 March 2007 was the first day I had ever had Dippy Eggs. It was abit bland, not quite as a magical as I thought it would be. Suffice to say I don't think I would ever crave it. Its a pretty cool concept though, and I'm really happy to have learnt yet another aspect of Aussie culture.

1 comment:

ayske said...
This comment has been removed by the author.