Saturday, November 27, 2004

Hypo-Crohn-driacs?

My uncle says he suffers from irratable bowel syndrome. Some term he picked off a close friend of his. Most of the discomfort, we've come to discover, was due to the fact that he is lactose intolerant and that he enjoys about 2-5 cups of coffee per day. Also, he enjoys massive bowls of cereal that contain at least 500mLs of milk. Which, in my opinion, would make anyone feel ill but he disregards this fact, claiming that he used to drink entire litres of milk in his university days.

1) He is abit older than "university days"
2) You can't drink litres of milk in one sitting

So anyways, the latest hype is the fact that he might have Crohn's Disease. My aunty (his sister) in Malaysia sent over an article about Crohn's Disease and got him all excited. Just because he's had a bout of food poisoning (serves him right for not microwaving the chicken properly). A couple of days later, she gives me a call, all importantly, asks me to do some research on it so that they can pin point it to the doctor, whichever doctor he decides to visit. I don't mind doing the research, but I honestly feel that they're trying to make something out of nothing.

My uncle has visited my granduncle who is a doctor, a brilliant person who, despite his age, is still quicker than me. I respect him alot. He says that sometimes people try to make their own diagnosis when they don't know the full picture. Which is kind of true. If we haven't gone through medical training, through med school and all, how are we supposed to make assumptions about such ambiguous diseases?

And you know what people say about hypochondriacs and quacks? They like doctors that play along with them. Like that episode in the Simpsons where granpa Simpson was waving the scalpel around, asking for a quack. And Dr. Nick Reviera walks in and spills out all kinds of rubbish which satisfies granpa Simpson. Uncle says that my granduncle (the doctor) "pooh-pooh's everything". And thus, he resolves to visit another doctor. Hmm. A connection.

I just feel that my family has a tendency to over dramatise things. As do I.

In my honest opinion, I don't think he has Crohn's Disease, I don't think he's got anything he thinks he has. I think its just due to the fact that he has the worst eating habits on the face of the earth. Obviously someone who has that kind of habits would suffer. Its all a matter of consequence. He thinks he's 21 again and can abuse his body. I think he should see a nutritionist instead of another gastro-doctor.

No comments: